Senior Scientist, Assay Integration
Sherlock Biosciences, an exciting new diagnostic company based on next-generation CRISPR and Synthetic Biology technology platforms, is seeking an outstanding Assay Integration Senior Scientist to develop and launch molecular diagnostic products. The successful candidate will be responsible for the planning and execution of research and development activities that enable the integration of sample preparation and synthetic biology processes onto point-of-care consumables and platforms. In addition, the successful candidate will help drive the innovation of the platform and translate improvements into new products.
This role will be responsible for integrating molecular diagnostic assays onto point-of-care consumables to accurately diagnose the presence of nucleic acid target in a variety of sample matrices. Successful candidates will provide product development expertise in an IVD environment. This role provides strategic and technical leadership in defining and achieving assay and product development objectives while ensuring compliance with health authority requirements. The Senior Scientist will contribute to partnering activities with life cycle teams and internal as well as external business partners to drive innovation and product development. This role will help bring the core biochemistry from the lab to the home by designing and testing novel consumables that can be used by anyone, anywhere. Successful candidates will join an exciting and fast-paced team focused on improving human health worldwide through highly innovative Synthetic Biology-based platforms for molecular diagnostics.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Design and develop prototype consumables for the handling of clinical samples
- Integrate assays into point-of-care platforms and consumables
- Establish dry down and lyophilization strategies for critical reagents
- Independently plan, design, optimize and execute experiments
- Conduct feasibility studies
- Assess the compatibility of various materials with Sherlock’s biochemistry and detection strategies
- Develop reagents within design control process and manage validations
- Oversee critical reagent development, validation, and transfer to Operations
- Provide data summaries, written reports and oral presentations to internal and external teams
- Interface with molecular and engineering teams to develop novel consumables
- Inventive, with ability to implement ideas in the laboratory
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting capabilities
- Technical proficiency in biochemistry and molecular biology techniques, including hands-on experience with nucleic acid amplification techniques (PCR, SDA, LAMP, RPA, TMA)
- Understanding of surface chemistry and how it can be manipulated
- Perform high level analysis of experimental results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic team player with a positive attitude
- Commitment to achieving goals and adhering to timelines
Required education and experience
- Long periods of standing or sitting
Preferred education and experience
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering or Life Sciences with a minimum of 5 years of industry experience, or M.S. in Bioengineering or Life Sciences with minimum of 8 years industry experience
- Demonstrated knowledge of cell and molecular biology and biochemistry with the technical aptitude to learn different scientific applications quickly
- Experience integrating sample preparation or molecular assays into IVD consumables
- Industry experience in IVD product development, preferably point of care
- Strong background in assay development, including nucleic acid manipulation
- Excellent communication skills, creative problem solver in technical areas
Additional eligibility requirements
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
- Work with clinical samples using molecular diagnostic technologies
- Experience developing lyophilization formulations and protocols for enzyme-based assays
- Experience with isothermal nucleic acid amplification technologies
- Experience with 510k submissions
- Management of external collaborators
- Project management experiences a plus
- Prior experience with managing a small team
Authorized to work in the United States
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are not merely trendy buzz words to us; they are part of our core values. We are committed to creating a community of well-rounded professionals from all ethnicities, nationalities, educational backgrounds, and genders. This “melting pot” of differences is what fosters ideas and innovations. Our beliefs span beyond our walls and into the world, as reflected in outreach to various underserved domestic and global communities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to BE GREAT
We will push boundaries and confidently confront any challenge.
We will be our best and help our team members be their best.
We will support each other to advance our careers and achieve our personal goals.
We care about ourselves and each other, behaving honestly and with integrity.
We will build a diverse and inclusive team which treats each other as we expect to be treated.
We expect the team and hold each other responsible to meet our obligations.
We will be open in our communications and support anyone acting on our core values.