Scientist, Assay Development
Sherlock Biosciences, an exciting new diagnostic company based on next-generation CRISPR and Synthetic Biology technology platforms. We are creating a new generation of biology-based molecular diagnostics that can rapidly deliver accurate and inexpensive results in any setting. Our goal is to address unmet diagnostic testing needs in infectious disease, oncology, agriculture and other areas to transform public health. Successful candidates will join an exciting, collaborative and fast-paced company focused on improving human health worldwide.
This role will be responsible for developing molecular diagnostic assays and integrating them onto Sherlock’s platforms to accurately diagnose the presence of nucleic acid target in a variety of sample matrices. Successful candidates will provide molecular diagnostic assay expertise in an IVD environment. The Scientist will have the opportunity to improve the core biochemistry as well as design assays for new targets to expand the platform menu. Successful candidates will join an exciting and fast-paced team focused on improving human health worldwide through highly innovative Synthetic Biology-based platforms for molecular diagnostics.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Design, develop, and optimize molecular assays from initial screening through validation on clinical samples
- Integrate assays into point-of-care platforms and consumables
- Independently plan, design, optimize and execute experiments
- Conduct feasibility studies
- Develop reagents within design control process and manage validations
- Oversee critical reagent development, validation, and transfer to Operations
- Provide data summaries, written reports and oral presentations to internal and external teams
- Work as part of a multi-disciplinary team with other scientists, chemists, engineers and manufacturing personnel
- Inventive, with ability to implement ideas in the laboratory
- Excellent analytical and troubleshooting capabilities
- Technical proficiency in biochemistry and molecular biology techniques, including hands-on experience with nucleic acid amplification techniques (PCR, SDA, LAMP, RPA, TMA)
- Perform high level analysis of experimental results
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-motivated, enthusiastic team player with a positive attitude
- Commitment to achieving goals and adhering to timelines
- Long periods of standing or sitting
Required education and experience
- Ph.D. in Bioengineering or Life Sciences, or M.S. in Bioengineering or Life Sciences with minimum of 2-4 years industry experience
- Work with clinical samples using molecular diagnostic technologies
- Demonstrated knowledge of cell and molecular biology, pathology, histology, or biochemistry with technical aptitude to learn different scientific applications quickly
- Strong background in assay development, including nucleic acid manipulation and detection and/or immunoassays
- Excellent communication skills, creative problem solver in technical areas
Preferred education and experience
- Experience integrating sample preparation or molecular assays into IVD consumables
- Industry experience in IVD product development, preferably point of care
- Experience with isothermal nucleic acid amplification technologies
- Appreciation for engineering design and materials science
- Experience with 510k submissions
Additional eligibility requirements
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
Authorized to work in the United States
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are not merely trendy buzz words to us; they are part of our core values. We are committed to creating a community of well-rounded professionals from all ethnicities, nationalities, educational backgrounds, and genders. This “melting pot” of differences is what fosters ideas and innovations. Our beliefs span beyond our walls and into the world, as reflected in outreach to various underserved domestic and global communities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to BE GREAT
We will push boundaries and confidently confront any challenge.
We will be our best and help our team members be their best.
We will support each other to advance our careers and achieve our personal goals.
We care about ourselves and each other, behaving honestly and with integrity.
We will build a diverse and inclusive team which treats each other as we expect to be treated.
We expect the team and hold each other responsible to meet our obligations.
We will be open in our communications and support anyone acting on our core values.