Vizgen is a rapidly growing company developing the next generation of spatially resolved genomic profiling tools that enable researchers to gain new insight into the biological systems that underlie human health and disease. The company's groundbreaking MERFISH spatial transcriptomics technology images RNA molecules with high accuracy and unrivaled detection efficiency at subcellular resolution. MERFISH provides transformative insight into a wide range of tissue-scale basic research and translational medicine in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious disease, developmental biology, and regenerative medicine. For more information, go to www.vizgen.com
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Instrumentation Technician who will assist with developing the next-generation imaging system for the rapidly evolving spatial-omics platform. This Instrumentation Technician will need to be a MERSCOPE subject matter expert and will be responsible for setting up and carrying out routine MERSCOPE runs. Key activities will include testing, and troubleshooting prototype systems, experimental design circuitry, basic software programming, and specialized test equipment. This is an exciting opportunity to work for a growing industry leader and with a world-class development team.
Key areas of responsibility:
- Effectively collaborate with multiple stakeholder groups, including Project Management, Biology R&D, Consumables R&D, Software, Technical Support, Service, and other functions to ensure the successful launch and post-launch of MERSCOPE instrument, a new highly spatially multiplexed genomic profiling instrumentation platform
- Build, modify and test prototype hardware including sensors, and instruments.
- Perform mechanical assembly, calibration, test, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance, and service on MERSCOPE instruments.
- Optimize and develop experimental methods, setup and perform MERSCOPE experiments, collect data
- Standardize and establish quality control assays
- Analyze data and prepare comprehensive reports/presentations for the team
- Interface with other team members to transition products into production, diagnose and resolve design-related issues.
- Communicate the status of projects, studies, and programs to appropriate staff following established priorities; instructs staff in work procedures.
- Manage multiple projects with multiple documents simultaneously.
- Associate Degree in biomedical engineering, or related biotechnology fields required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2+ years hands on experience with complex instrumentation systems for biotech applications (cell/genomics applications preferred) which incorporate mechanical/fluidics, optical, thermal, and firmware components
- Some experience with broad engineering and biological exposures, including, but not limited to, liquid handling system and its control, high-resolution optical imaging, molecular biology methods for nucleic acid applications, complex biological system integration, and workflow scripting automation
- Hands-on experience with in-situ molecular biology protocols (immunohistochemistry or FISH) and fluorescent microscopy imaging is a plus
- Ability to interpret and present data and other complex information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively
- Ability to prioritize tasks, to work simultaneously on multiple projects and complete work according to tight timelines.
- Independently motivated, and good problem-solving ability.
- Demonstrated proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation software (MS Office skills such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint).
- Strong project management skills.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, 401K, health benefits, a great work environment and the opportunity to enter a high-growth startup company. We are recruiting candidates who have demonstrated leadership and excellence throughout their careers and are excited by the prospect of tackling challenging technical problems.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Vizgen affords equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, military status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or gender unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification.