Vizgen is a rapidly growing company developing the next generation of spatially resolved genomic profiling tools that enable researchers to gain new insight into the biological systems that underlie human health and disease. The company's groundbreaking MERFISH spatial transcriptomics technology images RNA molecules with high accuracy and unrivaled detection efficiency at subcellular resolution. MERFISH provides transformative insight into a wide range of tissue-scale basic research and translational medicine in oncology, immunology, neuroscience, infectious disease, developmental biology, and regenerative medicine. For more information, go to www.vizgen.com
We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced Instrumentation Technician who will support a multi-disciplinary engineering team developing the next-generation imaging system for the rapidly evolving spatial-omics field. Key activities will include fabrication, assembly, test, and troubleshooting prototype systems, experimental design circuitry, basic software programming, and specialized test equipment. This is an exciting opportunity to work for a growing industry leader and with a world-class development team.
Requirements and Qualifications:
- Effectively collaborate with multiple stakeholder groups, including Project Management, Biology R&D, Consumables R&D, Software, Technical Support, Service, and other functions to ensure the successful launch and post-launch of MERSCOPE instrument, a new highly spatially multiplexed genomic profiling instrumentation platform
- Build, modify and test prototype hardware including sensors, and instruments.
- Perform mechanical assembly, calibration, test, troubleshooting, preventative maintenance and service on MERSCOPE instruments.
- Setup experiments, collect data, analyze and generate reports.
- Perform product qualification testing, develop test procedure and documentation.
- Interface with other team members to transition products into production, diagnose and resolve design-related issues.
- Makes recommendations for and performs software changes; maintains documentation of changes.
- Assists in diagnosing hardware problems by logical tracing of the failed function from its source to its final destination.
- Incorporates changes and additions to instrumentation plans.
- Maintains and updates electronic operational and maintenance manuals and electronic emergency response plans.
- Monitors and implements technological advances in systems and advises management about upgrades and improved programs as necessary.
- Communicate the status of projects, studies, and programs to appropriate staff following established priorities; instructs staff in work procedures.
- Develops supply and equipment list for work projects; submits requests for supply and equipment; maintains records of purchase orders.
- Manage multiple projects with multiple documents simultaneously.
- Perform other tasks as needed.
- Associate Degree in electronics, electrical engineering, or related technology fields required. Bachelor’s degree preferred.
- Minimum of 2+ years hands on experience with complex instrumentation systems for biotech applications (cell/genomics applications preferred) which incorporate mechanical/fluidics, optical, thermal, and firmware components.
- Some experience in creating and testing new designs in CAD and optical simulation software and rapid prototyping and refinement
- Some experience with broad engineering and biological exposures, including, but not limited to, liquid handling system and its control, high-resolution optical imaging, molecular biology methods for nucleic acid applications, complex biological system integration, and workflow scripting automation
- Some programming skills such as Python for engineering data analysis is preferred
- Ability to interpret and present data and other complex information.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to communicate clearly, concisely, and effectively
- Ability to prioritize tasks, to work simultaneously on multiple projects and complete work according to tight timelines.
- Independently motivated, and good problem-solving ability.
- Demonstrated knowledge of electronic theory, ability to read schematics, and experience with mechanical assembly, tools and mechanisms.
- Demonstrated proficiency with word processing, spreadsheet, database, presentation software (MS Office skills such as Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and SharePoint).
- Strong project management skills.
This position may be subject to pre-employment checks, including driving history check, drug screening and a background check for any convictions directly related to its duties and responsibilities. All pre-employment checks will comply with all applicable federal, state, and local laws.
We offer a competitive salary, meaningful stock ownership, 401K, health benefits, a great work environment and the opportunity to enter a high-growth startup company. We are recruiting candidates who have demonstrated leadership and excellence throughout their careers and are excited by the prospect of tackling challenging technical problems.
WE ARE AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY/AFFIRMATIVE ACTION EMPLOYER
Vizgen affords equal employment opportunity to all qualified persons regardless of race, color, religious creed, national origin, age, military status, sexual orientation, disability, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression or gender unless based upon a bona fide occupational qualification.