ABOUT ARTIZAN BIOSCIENCES: Artizan Biosciences, Inc. creates innovative microbiota-targeted therapies to restore lives disrupted by inflammatory disease. Leveraging our proprietary IgA-SEQ™ technology platform, Artizan identifies and distinguishes bacteria in the gut that predispose people to disease, with the goal of developing new and potentially curative treatments. This unique approach is applicable to a variety of microbiota-driven diseases including inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), central nervous system disorders, obesity, metabolic syndrome and autoimmune disease.
ABOUT THE POSITION: Artizan Biosciences is seeking a highly motivated laboratory manager to integrate into a team environment to support multiple drug discovery programs. Under this role, the ideal candidate will work with the supervisor and other team members to support routine lab responsibilities, such as safety compliance, procurement and inventory of lab supplies and consumables, calibration and metrology of laboratory equipment, liason with vendors, etc. In turn, the successful applicant will gain valuable experience in laboratory operations and management in a professional biotechnology/drug discovery environment at our New Haven, CT research facility located in Science Park.
Perform general lab duties as schedule permits including:
- Maintain stock room and laboratory inventory of consumable supplies and chemicals.
- Process quotes and orders for goods and services within the laboratory.
- Organize and maintain freezer inventory logs.
- Coordinate routine equipment calibrations and maintenance for common use items (i.e. balances and pipettes) and coordinate with lab staff for other specialized equipment maintenance.
- Coordinate shipping and receiving of samples to and from Artizan.
- Monitor and maintain compressed gas and liquid nitrogen stocks.
- Maintain chemical inventory, SDS binder, waste manifest records, safety training log, monthly safety inspections, and other EHS related tasks.
- Making cell culture and bacterial media
- Maintaining mammalian and bacterial cell culture stocks including BSL2 pathogens
- Assist with in-vivo sample processing and plate-based assays
Sample Collection Program Management and Support
- Manage the receipt of patient samples, including maintaining detailed records of sample status, location and aliquots
- Coordinate with Project Manager and other scientific staff on organization and status of samples
- Complete tasks and experiments in anaerobic chambers following appropriate BSL2 safety precautions
- Assist team in ongoing and upcoming experiments as needed
- B.S in Biology, Microbiology, Chemistry or closely related field required
- 3+ years experience in an academic or industry research laboratory environment required
- Experience managing or participating in safety programs is preferred; interest in safety compliance required
- Ability to communicate with external parties and vendors as well as internal laboratory staff required
- Excellent organizational, record keeping and planning skills with an ability to adapt based on changing priorities
- Good verbal and written communication skills