Akouos is building a leading gene therapy company focused on hearing disorders. We are a precision genetic medicine company focused on developing gene therapies with the potential to restore, improve, and preserve high-acuity physiologic hearing for individuals who live with disabling hearing loss worldwide.
Restoring, improving, and preserving high-acuity hearing is an area of high unmet need in medicine: 466 million people worldwide have disabling hearing loss, and there are no FDA-approved pharmacologic therapies to address its underlying causes.
Akouos was founded in 2016 by leaders in the fields of neurotology, genetics, inner ear drug delivery, and AAV gene therapy. Listening is in our DNA. We believe the only way to achieve our ambitious goals is to engage as one team, listen to each other, and trust in ourselves and our science.
We are looking for a results-oriented Controller with excellent management skills to lead the accounting operations for a publicly traded, rapidly growing gene-therapy company. This is a newly created position reporting to the VP of Finance. This person will be a highly motivated self-starter with a collaborative mindset, and a deep understanding of accounting and SEC reporting. The ideal candidate will have significant experience in successfully, improving, and scaling business processes and key internal controls.
- Take the lead on preparing and readying the organization for SEC standards and implementation of internal controls for Sarbanes-Oxley
- Manage and develop the accounting and SEC reporting team members. You will need to monitor and scale for future needs to assess upgrades to systems, adding new processes or changes to existing processes, and hire new team members as needed
- Monitor and review for accuracy the general ledgers, balance sheet reconciliations, and financial statements for preparation of internal and external GAAP conformed financial statements
- Manage timeliness of the month-end closing process and ensure that accurate accounting support is maintained
- Manage with the external auditors the quarterly and year-end financial statement review and audits
- Oversee outsourced purchasing and payables, payroll, and equity transactions
- Manage the company’s tax and compliance reporting
- Assist with Treasury responsibilities including cash management and investment policy compliance
- Collaborate with other functional areas to monitor, refine, and build finance and administrative systems that support Akouos’ growth plans
- Assist the VP of Finance and FP&A Manager in generating annual operating budgets, quarterly forecasts, and cash flow models, as well as board and management reports
- B.S. in Accounting or Finance
- 10+ years of experience in corporate and/or general accounting
- Public Accounting experience and CPA preferred
- Proven ability to identify areas of risk and creatively problem-solve to mitigate these risks
- Demonstrated ability to collaborate and build cross-functional relationships to drive business results and process improvement
- Excellent analytical, communication, and presentation skills are required; strong understanding of GAAP and both day-to-day and technical accounting is a must
- Detail-oriented with significant emphasis on accuracy and adherence to controls
- High level of professionalism with internal and external stakeholders
- Be a steward and champion of Akouos’ culture and values
Akouos is committed to equal employment opportunity and non-discrimination for all employees and qualified applicants without regard to a person's race, color, sex, gender identity or expression, age, religion, national origin, ancestry, ethnicity, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, marital status, or any characteristic protected under applicable law.