Akouos is building a leading gene therapy company focused on hearing disorders. We are a precision genetic medicine company focused on developing gene therapies with the potential to restore, improve, and preserve high-acuity physiologic hearing for individuals who live with disabling hearing loss worldwide.
Restoring, improving, and preserving high-acuity hearing is an area of high unmet need in medicine: 466 million people worldwide have disabling hearing loss, and there are no FDA-approved pharmacologic therapies to address its underlying causes.
Akouos was founded in 2016 by leaders in the fields of neurotology, genetics, inner ear drug delivery, and AAV gene therapy. Listening is in our DNA. We believe the only way to achieve our ambitious goals is to engage as one team, listen to each other, and trust in ourselves and our science.
The Associate Director of Strategy and Business Development will be empowered to drive the partnership strategy that creates access to expertise, resources, and technology that ultimately help Akouos design genetic medicines to address a broad range of inner ear conditions and achieve its’ mission of healthy hearing available to all. The role will report to the Chief Financial Officer and will collaborate closely with members of multiple functional and matrix teams including Research, Legal, and Program Teams.
- Partner with Research, Program Management, and other cross-functional team members to define and execute the strategy to realize the next generation of pipeline programs that will establish Akouos’s long-term leadership
- Drive alignment and communication of priority areas of focus. Support business rationale for areas of investment
- Search, Evaluate, and Partner
- Identify and evaluate opportunities to ambitiously and pragmatically expand the capabilities and applicability of Akouos’s genetic medicines platform to address a broad range of inner ear conditions
- Advance prioritized opportunities through the partnership process by driving due diligence, alignment on business terms, and deal execution
- Enable Akouos to be a “partner of choice” for the development of genetic medicines for inner ear conditions by supporting the Research Team in the initiation and on-going management of our partnerships
- Insights and Analytics.
- Lead the collection of intelligence and the insight generation to uncover disruptive opportunities and risks to Akouos’s strategy to achieve category leadership
- Be a steward of Akouos culture and values. In interactions with external partners, represent Akouos in a manner consistent with our culture and values
- An ability to define and prioritize scientific questions and open-mindedly search for novel solutions with curiosity and pragmatism
- Strong communication skills with an ability to express complex and/or scientific information clearly and concisely with a diverse set of stakeholders and in a variety of settings
- Leadership capability, including an ability to earn the trust of, motivate and guide cross-functional teams to make decisions and execute a plan. Ability to lead without direct authority and to build alignment, manage change, and resolve conflicts with diplomacy
- Ability to drive execution, including the ability to define objectives, organize a working plan, seek subject matter expert advice, and delegate action when appropriate
- An understanding of analytical approaches, including business and financial, to partner with strategic analytics experts to build business rationale for investment thesis efficiently and thoughtfully
- Multi-faceted background with direct involvement across, or experience working with, multiple functional areas, including in roles where nimble and thoughtful decision-making was required
- At least 5 years of biotechnology and/or pharmaceutical industry experience and within that experience, at least 2 years of business development transaction execution experience
- Ability to travel both domestically and internationally, if required