About Vedanta Biosciences, Inc.
Vedanta is pioneering the development of a new class of therapies based on defined bacterial consortia that act by modulating the human microbiome. Modulation of the human microbiota holds enormous promise to treat a broad range of immune and infectious diseases in ways that are completely different to existing drug classes. Breakthrough discoveries of our scientific team in the field of mucosal immunology have led to the first rationally designed drug candidates in the microbiome field.
We believe that in the near future, doctors will have an entirely new option to treat patients: bacterial consortia therapeutics. We are enabling this new drug class with groundbreaking and industry-leading scientific work powered by large-scale capabilities to identify, screen, and manufacture bacteria with drug-like properties. Our team is at the core of all we do - and we're excited to meet new team members!
About Us, About You
At Vedanta, we value diversity in all its forms and are looking for candidates with a wide variety of perspectives, backgrounds, education, and experiences. We believe that a diverse and inclusive workforce builds the strongest team possible.
We're proud of our workplace culture. Our Vedanta Values inspire us to be the best professionals and colleagues possible. Our values are:
Respect - Collaboration - Execution - Effective Communication - Problem Solving - Scientific Thoroughness
About the role
We are looking for a computational biologist/biostatistician/bioinformatician to support ongoing clinical trial and basic research microbiome data analysis and to assist in mathematical modeling and statistical analysis of biological datasets towards the development of Vedanta Biosciences’ portfolio of Live Biotherapeutic Products (LBPs) based on defined bacterial consortia. The candidate will work with the Research and Clinical teams to support the declaration of new LBP candidates, define the pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) of LBPs in clinical studies, and investigate microbiota or immune biomarkers of LBP treatment and health-related phenotypic outcomes. We are looking for an individual who is independent, curious, self-motivated, excited to collaborate, and an excellent communicator. The job title and level will correspond to the experience and skills of the selected candidate. Candidates interested in fully remote work are encouraged to apply.
Here's What You'll Do:
- Analyze LBP strain colonization and microbiota community dynamics in pre-clinical animal models.
- Conceptualize and perform pharmacokinetic and pharmacodynamics (PK/PD) analysis of LBPs in clinical microbiome studies.
- Implement multivariate statistical models to extract associations from translational medicine, pre-clinical, and clinical microbiome datasets. Curate, visualize and communicate analysis results.
- Identify biomarkers that can impact drug development decisions by mining Vedanta’s clinical datasets and using knowledge of disease biology, microbiome science, drug pharmacology, and clinical endpoints.
- Create statistical pre-processing workflows to control structural bias in microbiome data eg. appropriate models for compositional data, zero-inflation, and heteroscedasticity across features, sequencing batch effects etc.
- Develop methods for phenotype prediction using mechanistic tools and supervised machine learning.
- PhD in bioinformatics, computational biology, biological physics, data science, or related quantitative field OR MS with 3+ years of working experience in quantitative statistical or mathematical modeling.
- 4+ years of experience in a statistical programming language, such as R or Python, are required.
- Experience with quantitative statistical and informatics methods including multivariate regression, mixed effects modeling, and supervised and unsupervised machine learning tools including random forest, logistic regression, genome mining, or other related methods is required.
- Analytical experience with clinical trial data is highly desirable.
- Analytical experience with microbiome and microbial community ecology datasets is highly desirable.
- Experience with building reproducible data analysis workflows is required.
- Highly organized and motivated individual. Must be a team player, able to work well in a group setting as well as independently in a fast-paced environment.
- Strong communication and presentation skills are required.