Senior Research Associate, Product and Assay Development
Sherlock Biosciences, an exciting new diagnostic company based on next-generation CRISPR and Synthetic Biology technology platforms. We are creating a new generation of biology-based molecular diagnostics that can rapidly deliver accurate and inexpensive results in any setting. Our goal is to address unmet diagnostic testing needs in infectious disease, oncology, agriculture and other areas to transform public health. Successful candidates will join an exciting, collaborative and fast-paced company focused on improving human health worldwide.
The Senior Research Associate will be integral to our assay development objectives. She/he will contribute to internal efforts to drive innovation and assay development. The successful candidate will contribute to continuous improvement within both assay and product development. Additionally, she/he will plan experiments to achieve project objectives, execute development studies, analyze data, document results and hit project milestones on time. This role may be responsible for the training and supervision of experimental activities of research associate(s).
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform these essential functions.
- Develop, optimize, verify and validate molecular diagnostic assays.
- Conduct laboratory experiments and studies according to approved protocols.
- Assist in authoring and optimizing SOPs and WIDs for developed processes.
- Contribute to experimental design, data analysis, critical thinking, and problem-solving to improve methods or procedures.
- Carry out assignments with limited guidance in planning, organizing, and meeting key deadlines.
- Support the company culture of inclusion and collective contribution to projects and procedures.
- Relay project progress, experiment results, and data analysis to supervisor.
- Discuss challenges openly and thoughtfully.
- Document and record all work in electronic laboratory notebooks and diligently complete other documentation as required for assigned projects/experiments.
- Hands-on experience manipulating nucleic acids and/or designing and optimizing nucleic acid amplification reactions and protocols such as isothermal amplification (RCA, LAMP), qPCR, dPCR, or molecular cloning.
- Molecular biology experience or experience in a synthetic biology lab (cell-free transcription / translation)
- Understand project objectives, independently design, optimize and troubleshoot experiments
- Learn and understand the underlying science and fundamental concepts behind the assays and products in development
- Execute experiments efficiently, with high reproducibility; document experimental results, analyze data and outcomes, and generate summaries to communicate results with the team
- Achieve project objectives on time by troubleshooting experiments and testing practical and creative solutions
- Synthesize and utilize key information from the literature as necessary to achieve objectives
- Assist in drafting proposals, technical reports, publications
- Perform professional technical, administrative, and managerial research work. Performs independent or supervisory roles in research activities requiring an advanced level of knowledge in the scientific field
- May be responsible for the training and supervision of experimental activities of research associates
- Long periods of standing or sitting
Required education and experience
- M.S or B.S. degree in Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering or related field with 4+ years lab experience
- Experience with bioengineering, synthetic biology, DNA amplification, detection or design, or cell-free expression systems
- Strong analytical and quantitative skills related to nucleic acid characterization are required
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Capable of adjusting to dynamic working environment and changing priorities, while ensuring timely completion of assigned tasks
- Team-player committed to learning new technologies and professional growth
Preferred education and experience
- Ability to develop experimental plan and effectively prioritize tasks
- Experience in diagnostic assay development
- Prior industrial experience with molecular diagnostics or IVD
Additional eligibility requirements
Work authorization/security clearance requirements
Authorized to work in the United States
Affirmative Action/EEO statement
Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion are not merely trendy buzz words to us; they are part of our core values. We are committed to creating a community of well-rounded professionals from all ethnicities, nationalities, educational backgrounds, and genders. This “melting pot” of differences is what fosters ideas and innovations. Our beliefs span beyond our walls and into the world, as reflected in outreach to various underserved domestic and global communities.
Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
The ideal candidate will be prepared to BE GREAT
We will push boundaries and confidently confront any challenge.
We will be our best and help our team members be their best.
We will support each other to advance our careers and achieve our personal goals.
We care about ourselves and each other, behaving honestly and with integrity.
We will build a diverse and inclusive team which treats each other as we expect to be treated.
We expect the team and hold each other responsible to meet our obligations.
We will be open in our communications and support anyone acting on our core values.