About Carmine Therapeutics
Carmine Therapeutics is an Esco Ventures X company pioneering a powerful new class of drugs based on engineered red blood cells extracellular vesicles (RBCEVs), founded by Esco Ventures and Professors Harvey Lodish, Minh Le, and Jiahai Shi. Carmine's proprietary Red Cell EV Gene Therapy (REGENT™) platform is positioned to address some of the unmet technological needs related to the delivery of next-generation therapeutic modalities such as nucleic acids. Carmine was awarded the 2019 Bristol-Myers Squibb's Golden Ticket to LabCentral (Cambridge, MA) and has established a research collaboration with Takeda Pharmaceuticals in a deal worth over $900M USD. The Company is well-capitalized to develop next-generation non-viral gene therapies to overcome most AAV-based gene therapy limitations. Carmine is based both in Cambridge, MA, and Singapore.
About the Role
The CMC Team in Cambridge is looking for a Senior Research Associate to work under the direction of the DSP team to develop and implement purification schemes for RBCEVs. Reporting to the Principal Scientist of Downstream Purification, this position will assist in creating phase-appropriate purification processes for RBCEV development candidates.
- Execute experimental plans in coordination with development objectives of the CMC team, which are initially to develop scalable purification processes for loaded and unloaded RBCEVs
- Stay abreast of the latest scientific and competitive developments for EV purification and apply this knowledge to both team strategy and incoming development candidates
- Assist in presentations, reports, patent filings, and external communications as required
- Contribute to building a culture that embraces scientific excellence and integrity with a sense of urgency and collaboration with key stakeholders
- Assist in maintaining and managing external CMO relationships with commercial partners
- Support the continued creation and expansion of the company’s intellectual property
- Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein
Experience & Qualifications
- A purification scientist with a B.S. or M.S. in bioengineering or a related scientific discipline and 2-5 years of experience in purification in an industry setting, with novel modality experience preferred
- Experience in the following would be an asset: AKTA purification of multiple biological modalities, UF/DF or TFF experience with larger biological modalities (e.g. viruses), and tech transfer of developed processes to a manufacturing setting
- Knowledge of gene therapy/nucleic acid delivery/extracellular vesicles is an advantage
- Team oriented, highly motivated, execution-focused with strong work ethic, ability to thrive in an entrepreneurial and multidisciplinary environment