At Synlogic: We are Putting LIFE
We are pioneers in the development of Synthetic BioticTM
medicines, a novel class of LIVING medicines intended to transform the lives of patients with a broad range of diseases ranging from genetic and acquired metabolic diseases to inflammation and cancer.
Every day our teams work tirelessly to drive to deliver on 4 aspirations:
- People: LIVING each day with passion for building up and building out our Synlogic team
- Platform: Expanding and enhancing the technology to generate and protect novel LIVING medicines with new and versatile mechanisms of action
- Products: Rapidly developing and commercializing Synthetic Biotics that transform the LIVES of patients and their families
- Promise: Building our company to launch multiple novel LIVING medicines – mastering a new frontier in medicine
We combine Human Logic and Science Logic to drive meaningful work, careers, and LIFE
at Synlogic. We foster a people-focused environment grounded in: Compassion, Transparency, Collaboration & Fun, while adopting a patient-focused mindset to inspire: Innovation, Integrity, High Performance, and LIFE
We continue to build and enhance our organization. If you want a settled environment, pursuing a well-walked path then this environment is probably not for you. If you want to join a growing company, work hard, and challenge yourself to find solutions at a new frontier of medicines then we would love to hear from you.
We are seeking a highly motivated and enthusiastic Scientist to drive the development of microbial fermentation processes for the manufacturing of synthetic biotics. Reporting to the Head of Bioprocess Development, this individual will lead a team responsible for developing robust and scalable microbial fermentation processes for early to late-phase clinical manufacturing. The successful candidate will support tech transfer of fermentation processes to CMOS and supply material for pre-clinical studies and formulation development. This team leader will represent the bioprocess development group through oral and written communication within the organization and to external organizations.
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCES:
- Lead and contribute to lab operations to support microbial fermentation process development, improvement, and validation
- Identify technical strategies and design scale-down studies to provide a data-driven approach to process optimization and resolution of process deviations
- Contribute to the preparation of reports and documents required for regulatory submission
- Provide support for tech transfer, process characterization, process validation, and manufacturing campaigns
- Provide technical insight into experimental design and perform data analysis using analytical tools such as JMP, MiniTab, or Spotfire
- Establish and maintain familiarity with current industry practices and technology-focused primarily on upstream processes of manufacturing cellular therapies
- Collaborate with other teams within R&D
- Experience working with microbial fermentation for Live Biotherapeutic Products (LBPs) desirable
- Experience working with Perfusion Bioreactors (ATF or TFF) for High Cell Density Cultures desirable
- Knowledge of downstream unit operations (centrifugation, tangential flow filtration, and various chromatography systems) desirable
VALUES & BEHAVIORS:
- PhD in Chemical/Biological Engineering, Microbiology, Biotechnology or relevant scientific or engineering field; with 2-5 years of relevant experience. Title commensurate with experience.
- Hands-on experience in bioprocess development
- Prior experience with leading projects and mentoring technical staff
- Must have strong verbal and written communication skills. Ability to communicate effectively with others internally (up, down, and laterally) and externally to the organization
- Excellent organizational, time management and problem solving skills
- Must be flexible and able to work well within a fast-paced, dynamic and team-oriented environment
- Previous successful technology transfer and experience in bioprocess engineering and/or commercial manufacturing
- Practical knowledge of cell physiology and metabolism
- Familiarity with and hands-on experience with analytical methods typically used in the manufacture and characterization of cell-based products
We are at our best when we combine Human Logic and Science Logic to build great teams and deliver outstanding results. Our 6 values of Compassion, Fun, Trust & Respect, Innovation, Integrity and Results
are central to our organization.
for patients is the engine that drives our innovation
and motivates our sense of urgency; always remembering that patients are waiting. Our compassion
for each other creates a safe environment for continuous risk taking and personal development. We connect with our colleagues by having fun
We take our work seriously and value integrity
in producing the highest quality work. We trust
each other, respecting all ideas and driving accountability to generate the best results
for our patients and team. We encourage openness, direct feedback and transparency in decision-making to enable trust
and maintain the nimbleness of the group
We seek individuals who exemplify these behaviors and who encourage others to do the same.