Akouos is building a leading gene therapy company focused on hearing disorders. We are a precision genetic medicine company focused on developing gene therapies with the potential to restore, improve and preserve high-acuity physiologic hearing for people worldwide who live with disabling hearing loss.
Restoring, improving and preserving high-acuity hearing is an area of high unmet need in medicine: 466 million people worldwide have disabling hearing loss, and there are no FDA-approved therapies to address its underlying causes.
Akouos was founded in 2016 by leaders in the fields of neurotology, genetics, inner ear drug delivery, and AAV gene therapy. Listening is in our DNA. We believe the only way to achieve our ambitious goals is to engage as one team, listen to each other, and trust in ourselves and our science.
The Process and Analytical Development group at Akouos is seeking an Associate Scientist to provide analytical assay optimization and routine testing of AAV viral vectors. The ideal candidate will have experience with characterizing AAV viral vectors, executing analytical assays, working collaboratively and preparing necessary technical documents. The successful candidate will have a desire to succeed at the highest level to develop therapies that have the potential to restore and preserve hearing.
- Perform routine analytical assays on a weekly basis to determine product quality and characterization
- Formulation and testing of buffers and materials needed for routine assays and assay optimization
- Characterize AAV viral vectors according to established protocols and report assay results in a timely manner
- Document analysis according to good documentation practices in Akouos’s electronic laboratory notebook or other documentation methods such as test data worksheets or other prescribed methods
- Perform DNA and Protein analysis including both quantitative and qualitative assays, e.g., ELISA, protein expression assays, MSD, HPLC, SDS-PAGE, and ddPCR
- Conduct in vitro bioassays to measure product strength
- Support Quality Control testing on a limited basis
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
- B.S. degree in chemical engineering, biology, biochemistry, chemistry, biotechnology, or a related field and >1 years of relevant industry analytical development, process analytics, or quality control experience
- Ability to work both independently and as a member of a team
- Experience with the following techniques and instrumentation is important for qualifying for the position: ddPCR, ELISA, and MSD
- Strong desire to learn multiple techniques and a willingness to provide support, as required
- Significant attention to detail and accuracy in following and executing experimental protocols
- Experience with aseptic techniques for mammalian cell culture is a plus
- The candidate must be well-organized, goal-focused, and detail-oriented
- Candidate must have excellent communication skills, written and verbal