We make healthy cells invisible to targeted therapies
Targeted therapies work by attacking cells that express particular proteins on their surface. Unfortunately, both diseased and healthy cells often express the same proteins, resulting in collateral damage to healthy cells.
At Vor, we engineer hematopoietic stem cells (HSCs) to lack a biologically redundant target protein, then transplant these cells into the patient.
These eHSCs give rise to generations of new healthy blood cells that are effectively invisible to targeted therapies. Diseased cells displaying the target protein and are then vulnerable to attack. This process potentially broadens the therapeutic window and improves the utility of complementary targeted therapies.
Vor Biopharma is thrilled to have been chosen as the 2019 Xconomy Cell Therapy Platform of the year. We are well-funded by 5AM Ventures and RA Capital, among others. Please visit our website at https://www.vorbiopharma.com/ for more information.
What we value in our fellow Voracians
Passion: Enthusiastically driving our science toward innovative medicines
Fellowship: Fostering genuine bonds of collaboration and mentorship
Humility: Acting selflessly by putting the collective mission first
As an equal opportunity employer, we at Vor Biopharma know that diversity inspires innovation, inclusiveness, and creativity. We invite you to come as you are. All applicants will be considered for employment agnostic to race, age, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran, or disability status.
Who we are looking for:
Vor Biopharma is seeking a Bioinformatics Scientist who will leverage the strong programming skills to build and maintain the bioinformatics infrastructure and tackle challenging computational biology problems. The successful candidate will have software engineering experience in building bioinformatics pipelines using AWS and web-based visualization tools, and share our passion for developing innovative medicines/treatments.
Key areas of responsibilities:
- Collaborate with scientists and key stakeholders to identify opportunities to empower the whole team
- Apply best practices of software engineering principles and use an iterative approach to develop high-quality and testable software
- Develop well-documented bioinformatics pipelines for reliability and scalability with cloud computing (AWS)
- Develop integrated and automated methods and software systems to track, process, organize, and visualize data
- Develop web tools to visualize and interact with genomic data, including RNA-Seq, Amplicon-Seq, single-cell, and TCR repertoire sequencing
- Design and implement novel machine learning algorithms to advance Vor Biopharma's cutting-edge technologies in genome engineering
- Ph.D. plus five years of post-graduate academic/industry experience in Computer Sciences, Bioinformatics, Computational Biology, Genomics, or other related fields.
- Proficiency with one or more languages in a UNIX environment (e.g., Bash, Python, Java, or .NET core)
- 2+ years’ experience with Python and web programming frameworks (e.g., Django, Flask)
- Experience with NGS bioinformatics and downstream data analysis (e.g., Picard, Samtools, R Tidyverse, Python Pandas)
- Experience with one or more workflow frameworks (Snakemake, DWL, or Nextflow)
- Experience with DevOps with Docker and AWS (e.g., Docker, CI/CD, Git)
- Experience with data visualization (e.g., matplotlib, D3, or R Shiny)
- Experience with sample registry system (e.g., LIMS or Benchling registry) preferred
- Knowledge of SQL best practices preferred
- Knowledge of integrating with BI tools such as Tableau preferred